Wednesday, February 26, 2014

This Too Shall Pass ...


So ... today was the first day of the rest of my life.  I started my new medicine last night and my blood pressure has fallen considerably.   It was 169/106 about seven o'clock ... which was quite an improvement from 210/120.  When I woke up today, it was 172/95.   Something's off about that top number ... it's oddly high.  I need to Google a bit and find out what that means.

In any case, I took my meds this morning and came to work as I normally do.  My nephrologist warned me yesterday that this medicine "makes people a little at first."  Wow.  A little tired, huh?  Congratulations, doctor ... you've won the "Understatement Of The Year" award!

At one point, about two o'clock, I was seriously considering going home.  I could barely keep my eyes open ... it was painful trying to force myself to stay awake.  As a last ditch effort, I got up and walked around.  I went downstairs and got a Mt. Dew, which I'm aware does not help my blood pressure issues overall.  I finally ate three Twizzlers in a desperate bid for a sugar rush.

It's better ... some.  I read up a little on this medicine.  Apparently stage one is somnolence ... stage two is insomnia.  Fantastic!  So much to look forward to.  Also, apparently people commonly lose weight on this medication ... which would be fan-fucking-tastic ... except let's not kid ourselves.  A daily diet of Mt. Dew and Twizzlers will not be moving me towards a smaller size any time soon.

I just took it again ... and with two doses in me, I'm down 128/80.  So ... drowsy or not, this stuff is working.  This, too, will pass.  Time to suck it up ... and wait for the insomnia to kick in ...


Wake up little Susie, wake up
Wake up little Susie, wake up
The movie wasn't so hot
It didn't have much of a plot
We fell asleep, our goose is cooked
Our reputation is shot

Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment