Sunday, February 23, 2014

Scarface, Birthday Parties, and Beer ...


Childless people have an entirely different outlook on the world than those who have spawned offspring of their own.   I consider myself one of the childless many ... despite having three wonderful step-daughters.  They were 7, 7, and 8 when I first met them ... so even though I spent many, many years watching them grow from tweens to teens to adults, I totally missed the dirty diaper, stinky formula, screeching-at-the-top-of-your-lungs years.

Most of the times, I'm fine with this.  Every great once in awhile I have a spark of sadness ... thinking, for instance, how neat it would be to see a little Stoney running around.  Then I develop post traumatic stress disorder watching a small group of children playing indoor volleyball with a balloon while shrieking like a bunch of incontinent baboons on LSD ... and then I remember why I'm perfectly content being infertile.

We went to a birthday party this weekend for my cousin's daughter ... whom you may remember  from this post.  It was, oddly enough, really nice.  I mean ... considering there were shrieking kids and cheap beer, you would think this would be a recipe for disaster.  But no!  It might have been Scarface playing on the living room television ... it might have been the totally inappropriate jokes ... but I had fun.

We all sat together ... laughing and trading stories about J and sharing other various gossipy news.  My family said embarrassing things in front of Stoney ... as they always do.  I think my mom used the words "sloppy seconds" at one point ... and if the hand of God could've swept down and picked me up at that point, I would've welcomed sweet, sweet death with open arms.

But all in all ... we laughed ... and we had cake.   I love cake.  Stoney and I went shopping afterwards and he bought some bathroom things for me to keep at his house ... a curling iron and whatnot.   Considering the day began when I met him for breakfast at IHOP?  What more could a girl ask for?   I really couldn't have asked for a better day.

So ... it's time to start a new week.  I have an appointment with the kidney doctor Tuesday ... although since I've already got the news about my function declining, I'm not really sure what this accomplishes other than to separate me from a sizable co-pay.  I guess we'll find out.   This weekend was pretty darned awesome ... let's see if this week can live up to it!

You are the sunshine of my life,
That's why I'll always stay around,
You are the apple of my eye,
Forever you'll stay in my heart

Stevie Wonder -
You Are the Sunshine Of My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment