Sunday, June 08, 2014

But It's a Good Tired ...


It's funny how fluid time can seem.   It's also funny how a weekend that's busy can seem so much longer than a relaxing one.   It's a paradox ... but one that, fortunately, works in my favor.

I've had  such a good weekend ... even though from the moment I got off work on Friday until just this morning ... there was hardly a moment to unwind.   We were booked solid ... and even once or twice when I thought I'd have time to take a nap or put my feet up ... we wound up hurrying just to get things done in the nick of time.

Friday night we went to a bonfire at a friend's house out in the country.  I bet I know what you're thinking ... "Who has a bonfire in June?!"  It's a valid question. 

It was originally planned for May ... but we were rained out.   The first hour or so was tough, I'm not going to lie.  The sun was still terribly hot and the wind had died down.  Standing by the fire to cook a hot dog was brutal.   But after awhile, it cooled off ... and it was a great evening.  Sitting around in a circle ... everyone laughing.  Stoney and I had been dragging our feet about whether to make the drive ... but I'm so glad we did.

We fell into bed exhausted Friday night ... only to get up early to head to the ALS walk. 

Stoney has a good friend with ALS ... and the family has really had a hard time of it lately.   We walked the shorter path ... because I didn't think I could make the whole 5k.  I have enough pain after grocery shopping ... walking the whole 5k might've killed me.  There were around 300 people there ... just on our team.  So many people ... so much love.  It was really touching.

I wish we could've gone to the reception afterwards ... but we had to rush home.  Stoney was smoking ribs and I was making homemade macaroni and cheese because we were having two friends over to celebrate First Wife's birthday.   This was the point that I honestly thought we had wiggle room.  I thought we'd get the crock pot of mac and cheese going and he would get the smoker going ... and I figured after a shower, I'd have plenty of time to nap.  Hardly!

He was busy prepping the meat ... patting everything down with the rub and all ... I was busy cleaning up some of my mess ... washing some of his prep stuff.   It was just crazy.  He keeps a very clean house ... so it's not like we had to "prepare" for company.   But we were so busy that he ended up jumping in the shower right as First Wife texted that she was on her way.

I'm not complaining ... even as tired as I am right now ... it was a great weekend.   We had a great evening visiting with our guests ... dinner was delicious ... and we ended up watching a bunch of Jimmy Fallon clips that First Wife had never seen ... Whip my Hair with Bruce Springsteen and the History of Rap and the lip sync contests he does.  We laughed so hard I thought I might pee myself at one point.

All in all ... I wouldn't change a thing.  My legs are tired and my feet hurt and I'm achy ... but it's all fine.  Fine as wine.  I finally took the nap that I'd been wanting since Saturday.  It's so great to spend time with friends ... to give time to a good cause ... to eat an amazing dinner ... and to feel so loved the whole time.

I'm truly a happy ThirtyWhat ...

Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am home again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am whole again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am young again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am fun again

The Cure - Love Song

No comments:

Post a Comment