Thursday, June 26, 2014

Infinite Dominos ...


So one time, I broke up with this guy.  Or maybe he broke up with me?  I'm not sure.  Hell, I don't even remember who it was.  One of the good things about getting older is that a lot of that shit fades.  The details really doesn't matter ... other than the situation culminated with me driving in my Rabbit with my best friend ... listening to Aerosmith's "What it Takes" on a loop.

My best friend was quietly sitting there ... a) hearing "What it Takes" at least a dozen times ... and b) hearing me singing along with it at the top of my lungs inside a very small car.

This wasn't anything new.  She'd heard me sing Gun's n Roses, "Knocking on Heavens Door" an obscene amount of times.  I have an addictive personality ... even when it comes to music.  And if hearing a song once is good ... then twice is better ... and a dozen times is fucking amazing.

So we sat there, and on the umpteenth play she reached over and paused it.

"Do you want him back?" she asked.
"Ugh ... no!" I answered, defensively.
"Alright then ... why ... are we listening to this?  Are you listening to the words?"
"Yeah ..."
"Have you heard anything they are singing?"
"Yeah ..."
"Then why ... do we keep listening to this?"
"I don't know."
"Can we please be done?"
"Um ..."
(Silence ...)
"Just one more time?"

I un-paused it, started howling again, and she just sighed.

Sometimes I think I'm the cause of a lot of the problems that are going on.  K could be pushy ... and sometimes I think she was pushy because she had to be because of me.  Consequently, K dies ... and J is pushy ... because K was pushy.

Maybe we're all miserable ... because I played What it Takes by Aerosmith one too many times.

Just one of the many things I thought about today ...

No comments:

Post a Comment