Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Yeah Yeah ... I Get It ... It's a Metaphor ...


We got some very sad news today.  The friend of ours who has ALS is nearing the end of his journey.  Stoney talked with his wife and is going to see him tomorrow night.  When I read the Caring Bridge post at work today, I couldn't help tearing up.  It's hard to lose anyone ... but to lose someone who is young and has two young children ... it's heartbreaking.

I went over tonight ... not so much to cheer Stoney up ... because I'm not sure you should try to cheer someone up in this situation.  But sometimes it's nice just not to be alone.  We spent the night just talking ... talking about our jobs ... the frustrations we're both facing with new bosses and new desks.  We talked about silly things ... movies and television shows ... and a particular song which is, I'm sorry, the worst.

In the end, I drove home thinking about the last year.  We had so much loss ... and sadness.  But happiness too.  I guess that's what life is all about ... the never ending balance. 

No matter what, there will be sadness.  But as long as there is happiness in the mix ... I guess that's the best we can hope for.

They reach into your room
Just feel their gentle touch
When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much

Elton John - Sad Songs

No comments:

Post a Comment