Saturday, August 02, 2014

But It's a Good Weird ...


I love my family.  I guess everyone does.  But my family tree resembles less of a maple or a spruce ... and more like a walnut.  It looks alright from afar ... but when you get close, you can't help noticing the nuts everywhere.

I guess I should take it as a compliment that my family feels so comfortable around Stoney that they'll say anything in front of him.  One of the first times he came to dinner, they told him they'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother who's a Cowboys fan.  Cause we're classy like that.   Last night wasn't any better or worse ... it was just ... typical.


We sat at the end of the table ... directly across from my uncle who's mind is slipping.  He likes to tell rambling stories about trains ... trains he's ridden on ... mountains they go across.  It hurts my brain to listen very long.  Meanwhile, my favorite aunt sat next to him and badgered Stoney about giving me a ring.  

My brother sat next to her ... talking about various things he was preaching on.  The only thing worse in this world than a reformed smoker is punk who grows up to find Jesus.   I should appreciate his conversion.  He's a much better person now than he was back then.  The difference is that back then you couldn't trust him.   He did drugs ... he cheated on his wife ... make that wives ... constantly ... but he was real.  This new preacher man facade feels just like that ... a facade.  It's a mask he's wearing now because it's what's convenient.  He can't be the cool, hip, young guy ... so now he's the deep, God-fearing man.  It's just another in face in a cabinet full he's collected over the years.

Further down the table, my other uncle had drank a little too much and he was in full entertainment mode.  He's fun to be around when he's like that ... and let me assure you I know how wrong that statement is.  And I'd like to say I'm sorry ... but I'm not.  It's true.   I'm just sorry we couldn't have sat closer to him last night.

At the end of the night, as we were leaving, my brother pulled me aside and quietly told me to call my Mom.  One of my cousins from up north called about some drama going on with that branch of the family tree ... and so I walked to the car ... utterly exhausted.   Before I left his house last night, I said, "Thanks for putting up with all that stuff and going with me tonight ..." and Stoney said, "It was fun ... I like family night."

It's probably a lie.  And if it is a lie?  It's a happy lie.  It made me feel better ... and I'll take it.

Everyone can see we're together
As we walk on by
And and we fly just like birds of a feather
I won't tell no lie
All of the people around us they say
Can they be that close
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a family dose

Sister Sledge - We Are Family

No comments:

Post a Comment