Wednesday, September 17, 2014

In Which I Am a Germ Farm ...


We got back to town on Monday and boy ... did I feel run down.  Heck, we were both run down.  I took a three hour nap once we got back ... and then, a little later, he laid down and took a short nap as well.  I played Diablo III while he napped ... and my eyes would not stop watering.  When he woke up, he found me sitting cross legged on the couch ... playing the game ... tears streaming down my face.  That was my first clue.

Yesterday I felt tired and achy.  But common ... when do I not feel tired and achy?   My ears felt ticklish ... and I just felt ... beat.

This morning though ... I woke up and couldn't swallow.  It felt like there were knives in my throat.  I assumed I just snored a lot ... dry throat.  It happens.  So I went to work and drank some ice water ... thinking it would pass.

It didn't.

By lunch, I couldn't even drink water.  So I drove down to Prompt Care hoping I'd get something to help my throat.  The doctor who saw me was dismissive at first.  "Everyone who comes in here says the same thing ... their throat is coated in glass.  It's a virus.  I'll look you over ... but bottom line I can't do anything to help you." She checked my lungs ... my ears ... my eyes ... and everything pointed to me wasting $25.

Until she looked at my throat.

She stepped back and said, "Wow.  That's bad."  I asked, "Can you see anything?"  "Yes, you have pus pockets."  "Pus pockets?  What the hell is that?"  "That ... is strep throat."

She swabbed my throat and sent it off ... and in the end I wound up with ten day's worth of antibiotics and a bottle of lidocaine to swish and swallow just so I can get water down and stay hydrated.  I texted my boss from Walgreens with the bad news ... and to ask if he wanted me to come back in to the office.  He told me I could go home if I needed to ... but mentioned how busy we were.  So ... strep or not ... I went back and finished the day. 

I am tired and worn down.  I am just ... beyond beat.

Stoney said I should go to his house after work so he could take care of me ... and I know a time is coming soon when we'll live together and I can't protect him from my germs ... but for now I still can.   I love him ... and this blows.  I'm not giving him strep throat if I can help it.

So we'll see what tomorrow brings.  Right now I need a hot shower ... and with a little luck ... tomorrow will be better.

Your love is like bad madicine
Bad medicine is what I need
Shake it up, just like bad madicine
There ain't no doctor that can
Cure my disease

Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment