Thursday, February 12, 2015

Relax! It's Paid ...


So ... I paid my mortgage today.  

It's due on the 1st ... but, in my defense, my coupon book says something about paying before the 16th to avoid late charges. 

So ... I always make sure to pay it before the 16th.

Copacetic, right?

Wrong. 

I got a call today from my mortgage provider.  They were extremely unfriendly. 

This is a call to collect a debt.
You are?  Wow ... um ... okay.  Is this about my February mortgage payment?
Yes.  Why haven't you paid?
Because my coupon book says I have until the 16th.
It does ... but anytime after the 1st, it's late.
Oh ... okay.
Well, when are you going to pay?
Before the 16th.
Would you like to make the payment over the phone?
No.
Well how are you planning on paying?
On the website. Like I have been. Every month. For the last three years.
I can take your payment over the phone.
I prefer to make it on your website.
We also take payments by Western Union.
Um, is your website down?
No.
Okay, then I'll pay by website.
Alright. When?
Before the 16th.
Okay.  Will you be paying with income from your job?
Pardon me?
Your job. Will you be paying with income from your job?
Um ... how else would I pay?
Well, are you paying with a disability payment? Or a settlement?
How is any of that your business?
I'm just making sure that we get our money.
You always do. I don't understand why you're calling me.
Because it's after the 1st.
I've always paid sometime between the 1st and the 16th.  Look at my account.
I can't see your account, ma'am.
You can't?
No. This is a robo call center. Your name just came up.
Okay.
So, I have you down as making a promise to pay by the 16th.
Okay.
And you're going to pay by the 16th?
I always do.
Ma'am, you're late.
I'm not late ... it's the 12th.
Any day after the 1st is late.
I think we covered this.
Do you need assistance?  Illinois has a mortgage assistance program.
No.  I'm good.
And you're keeping the house?
No.  I'm going to sell it.
You are?  Okay, I'll make a note of that.
Okay.
Alright, and I have a promise from you to pay by the 16th?
(Bangs head on desk) ...

Jesus Christ.  I haven't had a collection call in years ... decades even ... and I sure wasn't expecting this one.  The money is in my account.  In fact, as soon as I hung up, I went to the website and made the mortgage payment.  I just have a bad habit of procrastinating.

Yes, I put it off ... but I always make sure to make the payment before the 16th so I don't accrue late charges.  Apparently that doesn't matter.  It's after the 1st.  So ... fine.  I'm taking steps to sell it ... in the meantime, I will stop procrastinating, and just pay the damned mortgage payment earlier.

I feel irritated.  And stupid.  But mostly irritated.

No comments:

Post a Comment